Get a medical card here

State Laws


Marijuana is available both medically and recreationally in Alaska. Alaska removed the penalties for the possession, cultivation and use of marijuana by patients who have written documentation from their physician recommending the use of medical marijuana. Patients may possess up to one ounce on their person and cultivate up to six plants, of which only three can be mature.

Patients must be enrolled on the state-run patient registry in order to argue the “affirmative defense of medical necessity.” Enrolling onto this registry gives patients protection under Senate Bill 94. Caregivers must also be registered in this way. Having a valid medical marijuana card can help protect patients.

Marijuana in Alaska is legal for both medical and recreational use. However, like many states throughout the US, those who need marijuana for medical purposes can get all sorts of perks and tax breaks for their meds. Here’s how to apply for a Medical Marijuana Card in Alaska …

1.Go to Your Primary Care Physician

If you’ve not seen your doctor for quite some time, go and see them! Book a few appointments and, if you have a genuine medical condition, obtain your medical records. Getting a hold of your medical records will require you to fill out a form. These medical records will describe the diagnosis of your condition.

2. Do You Have the “Right” Medical Condition

Different states that allow for medical marijuana use have different lists of conditions a Card can be issued for. Marijuana has a broad spectrum use, but some states are still more restrictive than others.

In Alaska, the most common conditions a Medical Marijuana Card will be prescribed for are:

  • Cancer
  • Glaucoma
  • Cachexia (as can be caused by Crohn’s Disease, IBS etc.)
  • Chronic or severe pain (e.g. post-surgery pain, pain from arthritis, chronic sporting injuries)
  • Severe nausea
  • Seizures (e.g. those arising from epilepsy)
  • Persistent muscle spasms (e.g. those arising from multiple sclerosis or Parkinson’s disease)

Other conditions are being confirmed so it is worth keeping an eye on the news and asking your physician.

3. Submit Your Application

Before you can get your Medical Marijuana Card, you must register with the Alaska Bureau of Vital Statistics, Marijuana Registry. This application form can either be found at your doctor’s office, or by downloading it from here:

The completed application form can be sent to the following address:

Alaska Bureau of Vital Statistics
Marijuana Registry
P.O. Box 110699
Juneau, AK 99811-0699
Phone: 907-465-0699

Email: [email protected]

The application form must include:

  • The original filled out copy of the completed application form (no photocopies), which will include the following information: patient’s name, patient -photograph, address (mailing & physical), date of birth and Alaska driver’s license number or identification card number.
  • Name, address and telephone number of the patient’s physician.
  • The name and address of the patient’s primary caregiver, if there is one designated at the time of application. This process is a must if you are completing the form on behalf of a minor, as the parent/guardian becomes the primary caregiver.
  • The original signed Physician’s Statement (no photocopies).
  • Your application fee. At the moment, fees for new applications are $25, and the yearly renewal is $20. The fee must be paid by either a money order or a cheque payable to the Bureau of Vital Statistics.
  • Submit the application to the address above.

4. Wait for Your Card

Once you’ve submitted your application and it has been accepted, you will be sent a Medical Marijuana Card for the state of Alaska. You will also have your original Physician’s Statement sent back to you, which we would recommend laminating as it’s often needed for dispensaries. Once you have your card and referral, you can start going to dispensaries.
The medical marijuana card will have your name, picture, date of birth, unique identification number, date of issue and date of expiry. As the law stands, it is legal to carry up to 1 oz (28g) for personal use. An individual may grow up to 24 plants for themselves. Commercial growth requires a license and stringent testing by clubs.

Whether you’re from Alaska or not, call Dr. Frank today to see how he can help.