Get a medical card here

State Laws


In order to to cultivate, buy or use marijuana in Montana, you must have a registry ID card, or a Medical Marijuana Card, as it’s more commonly referred to. For anyone looking to come to California who’s in need of a Medical Marijuana Card, book an appointment and have a chat with Dr. Frank, online or in-person. If your state offers telehealth, Dr. Frank may be able to consult with your primary doctor or surgeon as well.

In Montana, registered cardholders are limited up to 12 seedlings, although 4 mature flowering plants can be grown in private, and you can carry one ounce of usable marijuana.

Just follow these steps.

1.Obtain Medical Records

Speak to your primary care physician about obtaining a copy of your medical records. Alternatively, they can provide documentation describing the diagnosis of your condition.

2. Qualifying Conditions

The qualifying conditions in Montana are as follows:

  • Cancer
  • Glaucoma
  • Positive status for human immunodeficiency virus
  • Cachexia or wasting syndrome
  • Severe chronic pain significantly interferes with daily activities as documented by the patient’s treating physician and by:
    – objective proof of the cause of the pain
    – second opinion from independent Doctor
  • Intractable nausea or vomiting
  • Epilepsy or an intractable seizure disorder
  • Multiple sclerosis
  • Crohn’s disease
  • Painful peripheral neuropathy
  • A central nervous system disorder

3. Statement of Confirmation

You will need your doctor to fill out and sign a statement confirming your condition and needs for medical marijuana. You can download this form at:’sStatementforaDebilitatingMedicalCondition7-6-16.pdf?ver=2016-07-06-151852-340

4. Submit your Application Form

You will then need to register with the Montana Marijuana Program. Do this buy printing and filling out their form found at:

You have the choice of whether you will cultivate and manufacture medical marijuana yourself or buy from a dispensary, you can also choose both.

The application pack you submit, must contain these items:

  • This application form (page 2 signed by dispensary if chosen)
  • $75.00 Application Fee (check or money order)
  • Photocopy of valid Montana driver’s license or Montana state-issued ID
  • Applicable Physician Statement
  • Landlord Permission Form (if applicable)

Choosing the dispensary option will mean you will have to source a provider before submitting the form. They will have to sign the form to verify they will sell to you. If you would like to be a provider for up to 3 other card holders, there is a separate form and the fee is $50 for a provider card. If you rent or lease your property, then your landlord will have to fill out a separate form expressing their permission.

Once you are ready to submit, post your application pack to:

Montana Department of Health and Human Services

Medical Marijuana Program

Licensure Bureau
2401 Colonial Drive, 2nd Floor
P.O. Box 202953
Helena, MT 59620-2953

Phone: 406-444-0596
Email: [email protected]

5. Start Seeing Your Local Dispensary

Once your dispensary has agreed to sell to you and you have your referral and card, you can avail yourself of their services.